Michigan Memorial Phoenix Laboratory
Ann Arbor, MI
A renovation of the existing nuclear energy research facility on campus for use in a wide program of energy investigation. The building houses the Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute, which coordinates the University’s multidisciplinary energy research efforts. The Michigan Memorial Phoenix Laboratory Building honors the lives of Michigan Alumni lost in World War II. Built in 1955, the building is a fine example of the modernist style prevalent in the post-war era.
In general terms, the project scope includes significant upgrade of the building’s mechanical and electrical infrastructure, restoration of the masonry exterior and replacement of the exterior windows and a complete renovation of the third floor to provide laboratory and support spaces for the Hydrogen Energy Technology Laboratory. While focused primarily on the building’s third floor and exterior envelope, the design also addresses the planned Phase II renovations to the first and second floors and addition. It also allows for future renovation of the adjacent Ford Nuclear Reactor building. The project involves abatement of hazardous materials.
The resulting design balances the historic and aesthetic aspects of the existing building with the spatial and technological demands of a cutting-edge research environment.